Assistant Professor – Tenure Track
Department of Biology
College of Arts & Sciences
Adelphi University invites applications for a tenure track position in biology to begin in fall 2024. We encourage applicants from diverse cultural backgrounds. The position is for a biologist, with teaching responsibilities to include Microbiology (majors and non-majors), Genetics and/or related courses. Additional teaching responsibilities will be determined but could include specialty courses for upper-level undergraduates and master’s students in the area of expertise. The successful applicant will commit to teaching, and experience in student-centered pedagogy is preferred. Furthermore, the successful applicant will establish an active research program in their area of expertise, and is expected to seek funding from external sources and publish papers with student coauthors. A Ph.D. is required, and postdoctoral experience is strongly preferred. The successful applicant will join an active, engaged, and collegial department spanning all areas of biology. Applicants should include the following; a cover letter, teaching statement and philosophy, research statement and a diversity statement (all in one document). For more information about the department, visit http://biology.adelphi.edu/. This position is subject to the Board of Trustees’ final approval.
In compliance with New York’s Pay Transparency Act, the annual base salary range for this position is $77,000 – $78,500. Adelphi University considers factors such as departmental budgets, scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, as well as market and organizational considerations when extending an offer. The above hiring range represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
Adelphi University provides a comprehensive benefit package for faculty and staff employees. For a list of benefits provided to employees, please http://hr.adelphi.edu/benefits/faculty/#xd_co_f=MDU1M2U0NjQtNjNhMi00NjI5LWI0ZGEtMGE1ZTg3ZmEzNzVh~.
1. Teaching responsibilities of the candidate include Microbiology (majors and non-majors), Genetics, and/or related courses. Additional teaching responsibilities will be determined but could include specialty courses for upper-level undergraduates and master’s students in the area of expertise.
2. Candidates are expected to establish active research with both undergraduate and graduate students.
3. Candidates will be advising undergraduate and/or graduate students
4. Commit to teaching students from diverse cultural backgrounds and demonstrate excellent potential as a teacher.
1. Ph.D. in Biology or a related field is required
2. Postdoctoral experience is highly preferred
3. Experience teaching at the collegiate level is required. Teaching underrepresented students is preferred.
1. Applicants must apply online at https://www.adelphi.edu/hr/open-positions/ by submitting the following in one merged PDF: cover letter, CV, statement of teaching philosophy and of research interests, and diversity statement (1 page), and the names and contact information for three references.
2. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Deadline for application Nov 30th, 2023.
3. For more information, please contact Dr. Tandra R. Chakraborty (mailto:[email protected]), chair of the department.
We strongly encourage biologists from historically underrepresented and marginalized groups to apply for this position. Adelphi University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to building a diverse workforce. The university, college, and department are all dedicated to ensuring that a BIPOC or other marginalized group member be fully supported and mentored.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research and teaching university dedicated to transforming students’ lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning, and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as the Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island’s oldest private, coeducational university, serving more than 8,100 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers students more than 50 undergraduate majors and 70 graduate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 115,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 41 states and 58 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES:
The College of Arts and Sciences at Adelphi University is a community of educators, learners and creators committed to advancing the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, global citizenship and sustainability. These principles enrich our community, promote meaningful relationships, enhance our experiences, allow us to prioritize care for those most vulnerable and improve the long-term well-being of all. This mission drives the College of Arts and Sciences to meaningfully engage and center members of communities that have been historically, institutionally and systemically silenced and oppressed. We further support and champion initiatives, activities, discussions and practices in scholarship, creative work, teaching and service at the University and in the broader community that apply, critique, challenge and improve upon these principles in praxis. We strive to create a more socially just institution, society and world.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4710516
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.