The Verena Institute is hiring a Program Manager based at Georgetown University
The Verena Institute (viralemergence.org) is a research collaboration that uses the science of the host-virus network to understand zoonotic disease and pandemic threats. Recently established as an NSF Biology Integration Institute through a five-year, $12.5m NSF grant, we are expanding our data infrastructure and research, and establishing new programs in the lab, field, and classroom. We are hiring a Program Manager to assist in development and coordination of Institute programming for research and education, and take on core administrative functions. This position is central to the Institute achieving its ambitious goals, and is an exciting opportunity to join a collaborative, interdisciplinary team. Our ideal candidate has a keen interest in using team science to make the world a better place, strong interpersonal skills, and an interest in innovative and interdisciplinary approaches to teaching, mentorship, and outreach. This position starts ASAP and is based in-person at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C.
Key responsibilities include:
- Supporting some of some of our key educational, training, and team-building programs, including an in-person and virtual workshop series for our cohort of doctoral students and postdoctoral fellows; a Course-based Undergraduate Research Experience (CURE); a monthly Learning Community for educational and professional development; and our virtual lightning talk seminar series
- Coordination of team research projects across institutions, including tracking project progress towards goals and matching skill sets and expertise to support collaborations
- Working closely with the Director and Program Evaluator to track progress towards goals, monitor public engagement, and prepare annual reports and website updates
- Scheduling and logistics support for committees and collaborative work
- Coordination with the finance and human resources departments at Georgetown for grant management, hiring onboarding, and other administrative functions
- Strong interpersonal skills and an interest in team science
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Graduate degree (Master’s or Ph.D.) in a relevant discipline and/or significant experience in a relevant field (e.g., global health practice)
- Familiarity with Google Drive
- Experience in a project manager position
- Formal training in: interdisciplinary research methods, program management, pedagogy, leadership, and/or science of team science
- Subject matter familiarity and/or an active interest in virology, microbiology, disease ecology, climate science, and/or global public health
- Comfort with Slack and AirTable
Candidates from backgrounds not traditionally represented in academia are especially encouraged to apply! Our top priority is building a supportive and collaborative community. Please reach out with any questions.
For best consideration apply by November 15! Send cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to [email protected]
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.